You don’t have a lot of assurance when you rely on luck. So if you want and plan to pass the Civil Service Exam, luck shouldn’t be the only thing you rely on, the best course of action to take is to prepare.
Preparing for the exam is not as tedious or as difficult as it sounds. It is actually just simple ways that can give you more assurance of passing.
Tips for passing the Civil Service Exam: Before and During the Exam.BEFORE
Tip #1: Read up on the subjectsYou don’t necessarily have to read the books for each subject from cover to cover. Just try to review and recall what you have learned when you were in school.
- Vocabulary – Words won’t be that complicated, most are commonly used and found in the daily news, articles, etc.
- Word analogy – Study on your bridging sentences
- Grammar- Review on subject and verb agreement, modifiers, conjunctions, etc.
- Paragraph Organization – Paragraph structures, transition words, etc.
- Reading Comprehension – Learn how to look for the main idea, the message of the paragraph, etc.
- Math – Remember your PEMDAS (Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction), interest and percentages, word problems, etc.
- Number Series – Prime or Odd Numbers, Squares or Cubes, Pattern in differences, Complex Patterns
- General Information - Read up the parts of the Philippine constitution about environmental conservation, indigenous people, and territorial disputes.
- Logic – Most of it will be on “Finding the best assumption and best conclusion” questions
Tip #2: Bring a watch for the examSince the exam is timed and it is quite long, it is best that you are aware of how much time is left for you to answer the exam.
Tip #3: Eat well to think wellAn empty stomach means an empty mind. So that you can focus on the exam itself, make sure your stomach has good food that won’t keep you distracted.
Tip #4: Bring snacksYes, even if you had a heavy breakfast, just to be sure, bring small biscuits or crackers if your stomach starts to grumble.
Tip #5: Get a good night sleepYou wouldn’t want to feel exhausted and groggy during the exam, right? Sleep well so that you remember what you reviewed and studied.
Tip #6: Bring at least 3 black pensBlack ballpen is the only pen allowed. NOT friction pen, gel pen, sign pen, etc.
During the Exam
Tip #1: Allocate your timeBecause the exam is long, we suggest that this is how you take the exam.
2 hours – Comprehending and answering questions you are SURE of
1 hours – Answering/ Guessing questions you AREN’T SURE of
10 minutes – Double checking if you’ve missed out a question and re-shading those that aren’t properly shaded
Tip #2: Don’t panic if you’ve made a mistakeIf you shaded a wrong number, just place an X on top of it and shade the correct answer. NOTE: Only one X is allowed per number
Tip #3: RelaxYou studied and prepared for this. Just take it easy and don’t put too much pressure on yourself.
Tip #4: PrayFollow these tips and good luck in your examination!
Read full: Civil Service Exam tips